Thursday 3 April 2014

God is Just not Fair by Jennifer Rothschild


I like a provocative book title and when finding a book title, this one met that criteria.

The title offers a double meaning, initially I expected to pick up a book that explores the fairness of God and how Christians should respond when things don’t seem fair. In one sense, it kind of does….
Add a coma, to the title and it would read: God is just, not fair and for me that’s the heart of this book. Jennifer Rothschild explores the just nature of God, which is measured on a different scale to how we would humanly measure fairness.

This book is an easy, yet engaging read. I enjoyed the short chapters with clear direction supported by witty and relevant stories and illustrations.

Jennifer Rothschild is blind so writes from the perspective of someone living with a physical disability. That perspective offers huge insight into resolving the character of God with the current circumstance. The human tendency might be to ask why? or exclaim ‘this isn’t fair’ yet the character of God is to show that in, over, around and above the circumstance, God is still God.

The book is split into six parts that explore this theme in great depth:

God, are you fair?
God, do you err?
God, do you hear prayer?
God, do you care?
God, are you aware?
God, are you there?

I really enjoyed reading this book that reminded me of many truths about the God I trust. It opened my eyes to see God from a different perspective and has provided a useful pastoral tool to be able to recommend to people who see their current circumstance as insurmountable.

I would really recommend this book, as I have done already!

No comments: