Monday 27 January 2014

Innovation's Dirty Little Secret



So what is Innovation's Dirty Little Secret? I asked myself as I picked a new book to read.
How dirty is it?
How little is it?
How much of a secret is it?

And i suppose that was my hesitation in picking up this book, the title suggests a revelation that the reader would not otherwise have realised. For me the contents and innovation's secret wasn't anything particularly new, but was something quite timely. It was helpful to read over the period of a new calendar year as it does pick out some really key leadership principles.

The most challenging to me and also the first principle of the book was about being prepared to fail. That effective innovation probably comes through a series of failures, of ideas that didn't quite work, or that needed tweaking. I was helped by the challenged that as a leader I shouldn't avoid doing things because they might fail, but I should keep doing things because they might fail, yes, but they may also succeed.

The contents of this book encourages the reader to take on the traits of a serial innovator, someone who isn't afraid to fail, but through careful planning, leadership and strategy see's their ideas and creativity become innovation on a regular basis.

So in that regard, It was a helpful reminder, a challenging read. Maybe the biggest innovation is the realisation that there is nothing that is really new, everything is a re-mix that becomes new to and through the eyes and circumstance of the reader.

I'd definately recommend and re-visit

No comments: