Friday 11 October 2013

Death by Living by N.D.Wilson

This is the first book by N.D. Wilson that I have read and he certainly stands out as unique in both style and substance. His vocabulary and literary style presents a welcome change to many of the books I normally read. He manages to mix non-fiction, engaging narrative and theological richness in a books that I would mark out as unique. Having said all of this, Death by Living is not the kind of book you can read whilst doing something else, my full attention was necessary to gain the full richness of this work. 

In summary, Wilson takes the reader on a journey of what life can be if we refocus our purpose and start living. Life is meant to be spent and according to Wilson that focus is gained by recognising we're first dying. I suppose some might read this and think of it as somber and negative, yet Wilson paints a picture of the joy our reality can become if we place it in perspective 

This quote stuck out to me:

"Lay your life down. Your heartbeats cannot be hoarded. Your reservoir of breaths is draining away. You have hands, blister them while you can. You have bones, make them strain. They can carry nothing to the grave. You have lungs, let them spill with laughter

I enjoyed this book, I found it different and sometimes difficult to read, but would definitely read future works by N.D.Wilson and go back and read Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl. 

No comments: