Tuesday 12 March 2013

Who Do You Think You Are by Mark Driscoll



Mark Driscoll uses Paul's letter to the church in Ephesus as a outline for exploring our identity in Christ.  This book seeks to dispel some of the myths that we might form about ourselves based on our experiences by detailing Biblical truth as a foundation for how God see's us

I really appreciated the structure of this book, being based on scripture it moves from a sentimental 'God loves us' book and moves to a book of foundational truths that can free you and I in areas of our lives where we may have been bound in the past

This book was really interesting, I enjoyed the mix between stories and doctrine. It's a book that you could use as a bed time read, but it also includes some really good sections that helped me to describe my doctrine more clearly (The section on spiritual gifts). In that sense, If I were to sum it up, I'd say it balances inspiration and theology really well.

I didn't agree with everything that Pastor Mark wrote, but I did agree with most of it. I felt it was conveyed really effectively. It has kept my attention and has re-iterated some of the things that I am free to do and be through Jesus

One particular area that has blessed me is the reminder that I am a child of God, a co-heir with Christ. That is my identity and I should be secure and safe in that identity regardless of what other people say, do or think

I recommend this book, it's definitely worth a read

No comments: